Nationality wars

2009.10.01 13:45 by Leo Antunes - 9 Comments

After seeing bubulle’s post on the statistics per country in Debian I started wondering about how the statistics were made. They probably take into consideration the Country field in the LDAP, but this seems a bit off since there’s a considerable number of DDs living abroad.
This hit me since I should probably count as BR, but live in DE. I’m personally skewing the statistics!

I know this is totally meaningless, but perhaps we could add a “nationality” field to the LDAP, just to make the competition a bit more precise! ;)

1. and what about that “not oficial” nationalities? Some guy from Catalonia will have spanish nationality?

I thought about that when I was writing the post, but I thought it might be too much of a touchy subject and decided to avoid it…
    In this sense, adopting a “nationality” field is a lose/lose situation: if you include these contentious nations it may offend some, if you leave them out you certainly offend others.

Coming form a nation with a massively different background and a history of relatively peaceful integration between many different nationalities and cultures, I don’t presume to be able to judge the best handling for this sort of delicate subject…

2. Dude, nationalism is evil, please don’t. I have zilch in common with most people in the same “nation” as me.

“Evil” is a pretty subjective concept and characterizing this specific silly idea as “nationalism” and therefore “evil” because of unfortunate past associations seems a bit exaggerated.

The scope here is a simple lighthearted competition amongst a loosely coupled group of developers. There’s no talk of intrinsic superiority of one nation over another, no banding of a group against another (ignoring stories about the fabled German Cabal :) ). It’s actually somewhat like people rooting for a football team: completely arbitrary and meaningless, but fun, if taken lightly, of course.

3. Well you really need 3 fields then “Country of Residence”, “Nationality” & “Citizenship”. Cause I’m a Latvian citizen have Russian nationality but currently residing in UK….

True, but IMO that would be a bit too complicated: the citizenship field would need to accept multiple values and that would totally mess up the statistics! :)

UPDATE: just to clarify: I don’t know if that’s the case for Latvians/Russians, but I’m aware of at least two cases where you can have multiple concurrent citizenships.

Yeah forgot about the dual, triple, etc citizens…… Heck it should just be a tagcloud which accepts comma separated list of countries you want to be associated with weighting normalised to make up sum of 1. Eg: 0.1ru, 0.4lv, 0.5gb =) Overengineered =) so don’t touch it cause change will make the planet flooded with negative & possitive meme’s agains =)!!!!

4. This is an interesting topic – here in the US we’re always talking about our heritage. Does that have a place in the database?

Now that would be complicated to implement! :)
    Firstly because of the very fluid definition of heritage (implicitly containing unclear concepts like race, culture, etc) and secondly because of its inter-twined relational structure between the possible nodes of heritage to which a person would “attach”.

And I don’t wanna get all serious about it, but this would have an even bigger potential for misinterpretations than the concept of “nationality”, which is already pretty risky as seen by the comment above.